Wednesday, July 16, 2008

International Marriage Traditions

Note: This post is intended for Bridal Guide Magazine.

Not a lot has been written on intercultural marriages in the blogosphere, probably because in many ways, every single marriage is an instance of two different cultures attempting to blend together. Whether it is regional culture, familial culture, national culture, or religious culture, each couple must find ways to merge and honor their own belief systems and backgrounds.

I became fascinated with all things folklore related after taking a few classes at my University, and in the middle of writing papers I took some time to research Polish wedding traditions in some of the textbooks I was reading. The customs they spoke of were so unique and meaningful, I knew that I wanted to find ways to incorporate some of them into my own wedding.

All of this cultural research has led me to think about where my own family comes from. I have Danish ancestors, and I have begun to look into wedding traditions from Denmark as well. Here some of the things I am thinking about incorporating.

Danish Traditions

1. Danish weddings serve marzipan cake as the wedding cake. It's made with almonds and marzipan and decorated with a sugar paste icing. I'm planning on having a cake buffet instead of one wedding cake, so a cake like this would be a possibility.

Image found here.

2. When the groom leaves the room, all of the single men will run up to the bride and attempt to kiss her. The same thing happens when the bride leaves the room.

Image found here.

3. Towards the end of the night all of the groomsmen attack the groom and attempt to cut his tie and socks. It is thought that this practice is to see if the grooms feet are clean, dirty feet signify that he has been running in the fields after pretty maidens. I will actually be discouraging this idea :)
Image found here.

4. The bride and groom begin dancing a traditional Danish waltz. As the dance progresses all of the guests form a circle around them and begin to clap and tighten the circle until they are completely surrounding the bride and groom.

Image fond here.

Polish Traditions

1. Probably my favorite Polish tradition is throwing pennies at the bride and groom as they leave the ceremony. The best part of this practice is that the bride and groom must stop and pick the pennies up after they are thrown at them. It makes for some really great photos! The pennies are supposed to be an indication of financial fortune in the future, which must be why this bride and groom look so eager to bend down in their wedding attire and collect them.

Image found here.

2. According to this site, Poles consider bread to be a gift of God, and salt to be a basic necessity of life. The couple is presented with bread and salt, often by their respective parents, in a meaningful ceremony where the words "may you never lack it" are pronounced.

Image found here.

3. In Poland they do not toss the bouquet, rather the veil. I am not having a bouquet toss, and so this might be a fun substitute. It seems as though the veil would not to be wrapped around something with some heft to help it fly. I am anti-grater tossing, and it seems like the Pole's might be as well because the groom ends up throwing his tie. I am sure that my groom wouldn't mind loosening up a little bit at the end of the night.

Image found here.

These are just a a few of the many customs and traditions that happen at weddings. If you know your family background a little digging can bring up so many meaningful ideas you can use to honor your heritage and add a unique touch to your wedding.

No comments: