Friday, July 18, 2008

The E -Pic Vestments

I love and watch What Not To Wear all the time but why do Stacey and Clinton always have to be so negative, focusing on what not to wear? I say we devote some time to thinking about what we should be wearing, specifically in regards to engagement shoots. Laura Novak, an amazing photographer, wrote about it once on Weddingbee, now it's time for an official photography blog-stalkers opinion.

I read all of the photography blogs. When I say all of them, I mean that every single time I come across a link to a photography blog, I subscribe to it. The folder containing these posts is consistently at 1000+ on my google reader. I have been able to find some beautiful photos and discover lots of gorgeous inspiration, and, consequentially, form a lot of opinions about what should and should not be worn.


1. Find out if your photographer allows for outfit changes. If so, think about wearing one "everyday" and one "dressy" outfit.

Photo by Duston Todd
From American Gothic to American Chic.

2. Coordinate your outfits. But don't wear the exact same thing.

Photo by Sarah Rhoads
Blue/gray color palette with a shot of red from her funky heels. These two just look like they belong together.

3. Think about wearing an outfit that matches your surroundings.

Photo by Duston Todd
So if you are going to be taking your photo with a donkey, you might want to look into purchasing that sombrero you've had your eye on.

4. Give your shoes as much attention as your shirt. The photographer will want to capture them at some point.

Photo by Shaylene Rene
Mr. and Miss Avocado, what were you thinking when you got dressed that day. High heels and big clunky sneakers?

5. Wear something that you feel defines your personal style.
Photo by Johnathan Canlas
How many "rules" that photographers give about what to wear are this couple breaking? Baggy gauchos on the lady? Check. Trendy graphic tees? Check. Ultra casual flip-flops? Check. But I am going to guess that this is what this couple really dresses like. They walked away from their engagement session with some beautiful images that really captured who they are.


6. Wear something you can run, jump, kick, and spin in.

Photo by Ksenija Savic
Because in many ways, this is how I feel when I am around Mr. Avocado.

What do's and dont's would you recommend be added to the list?

No comments: