Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Photographer = Friendor

Before I show you my beyond fabulous engagement photos, I want to introduce you to my photographer, Kelli Nicole.

First I will tell you a sad story. I found a photographer I loved. He takes pictures that make me want to cry (thats how pretty they are). He was available, he was affordable, he would fly across the country for me. I mailed him a contract and a check, and then he called me to tell me that he hadn't realized I had changed my date and that a couple had booked him for the 11th just a week before. I cried.

Then I was reading through some friends blogs. My freshman roomate Kelli's blog came up, with a particularly beautiful shoot featuring a gorgeous family. I was startled. Could this be the same girl I roomed with 4 years ago? The pictures she was putting up looked nothing like I remembered her creating back in the day. Would I make a Friendor out of this girl? Could we reconnect once again?

Cue the wavvy music that cheesy sitcoms use. And the fuzzy edged effect.


We partied it up at the Wilkinson center.


Kelli let me take cheesy portraits of her before we met up with our dates for a freshman dance. (Kelli, do you remember these? Why was I the one behind the camera for this?)


She fell down and dropped a box of her stuff while moving. She didn't hate me for grabbing my camera to take a picture instead of helping her up.


She frequently fell asleep in this very position. This is not staged my friends.


End scene. Back to the present.

I called her up, and I was honest. I was nervous about booking her. Some might say I was brutally honest. Kelli knows me well enough to know what a photography blog stalker I am, and she had spent time admiring the work of "the one who was not meant to be" as much as I had. She didn't have very much wedding experience, but she is interning for The Image is Found this summer (and stealing all of their amazing photography secrets to use for my wedding, hee hee hee!) She told me her prices, and I learned that I would save not hundreds, but thousands of dollars. I remembered my mantra concerning using personal resources. I hesitantly said yes.

Miss Avocado is currently patting herself on the back for a job well done. Pat pat pat.

You've seen the proposal shots, but that was nothing. Kelli dropped a bomb in the name of 1000+ engagement photos in my lap this week. Yes, 1000 photos. Friendors rock.


Post proposal. Friends for life. Let's credit That Groom for this gorgeous shot, shall we?

Have you been surprised by the creative genius of any of your Friendors?

No comments: