Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Avocado Temple Time Capsule

Let's journey back 7 years and take a look inside the mind of 16 year old Miss Avo. A girl who loves to sing and dance, who has already become slightly wedding obsessed. We won't be using a time machine for this journey, instead we'll be using a time capsule!

I've mentioned before how important temple marriage is in the LDS faith, and as teenage girl I participated in many youth group activities learning about temple marriage. The best activity I attended involved filling up canning jars with wedding themed items, and sealing them ourselves using a canning trailer. I was so excited to move home after getting engaged, break out the can opener, and see what had been waiting inside for 7 years.



We were told to open the can with our fiance, but I had a hunch that inside the can was a letter I had written to my future husband, and I was correct. It ended up being part of my ring ceremony reading, which I will be sharing with you all when I do my wedding recaps.

It turns out the can was sealed on October 10, 2001, and I was married on October 11th, 2008. It probably doesn't mean anything, but I thought it was cool how close the dates matched up! On the back of the can the "ingredients" were listed. The can was filled with things like traits I wanted my husband to have, traits I want for myself, a letter from my church leader, and other various objects. Many of those things would probably be of no interest to you, and are a little bit personal for me to share.


Of course what I will be sharing are the most entertaining things: my desired wedding colors, ring, dress, even the physical characteristics I was looking for in a husband!

I must have been imagining a spring time wedding, as these colors would have looked ridiculous at my fall nuptials.


I imagine that this is what I wanted for an engagement ring, as I have always been rather adamant that I didn't want anything "sticking up" on my ring. I don't regret the ring that I have, but my 16 year old self was right, it does snag on things.


I like the sweet little neckline on this dress, but is about all I like. The pattern is busy and the skirt would drown me. Also, is there something weird about the glove on her left hand? Are these the kind of gloves that only loop over your middle finger?


Here he is, my dream guy. I think I modeled this picture after meeting the boyfriend of a woman interviewing to be my dad's secretary. He had dark hair and green eyes and he left my best friend and I giggling when he pretended to drink out of a non-functioning drinking fountain (hey, it seemed funny at the time).


Last but not least.......baby names! Yes, we did a page where we named our children. I don't have a picture of it, though I did write them down before I left Washington however in order to share them with you.
Joselynn
Syrina
Prayton
Calistra
Jurima
Alandra
Tranden
Bryant
Renton

Apparently I really liked the letter R?

What can you remember about your teenage, preteen, or childhood wedding fantasies?

No comments: