Tuesday, March 10, 2009

WPPI in Vegas 2009: Part III, Learning From The Masters

WPPI taught me something. In my tiny little world, the photo blogs I taught were written by absolutely amazing photographers who I considered to be the best of the best. Then I went to WPPI and realized that they are really just students of the medium, much like myself (although in a much more advanced stage). It wasn't until I attended my first WPPI event that I realized who the true masters in the wedding/portrait photography industry are.

The thousands of people pictured in the photo below by Lynn-Kai Chao are all wedding and portrait photographers. And every single one of these photographers from around the world are watching 5 people show them how they take such amazing pictures.



Are you curious who the master are? Yervant, Denis Reggie, Bambi Cantrell, Joe Buissink, and Jerry Ghionis. Why haven't you heard of them? Becuase they are amazing photographers, but not very good bloggers. :) Most of them are of an older generation, they started with film and worked their way up to where they are today.

The event pictured was one of the coolest I have ever attended. It was a mock wedding (a vow renewal of sorts for the 10 year anniversary of Jim Garner and his wife), and we were able to sit there and watch it be photographed as it was happening. They took us through the different "events" that would happen on the wedding day, such as the bride and her attendants drinking champagne to celebrate, and used wireless memory cards to transmit the images almost immediately on the big screens to the right and the left of the stage. It was thrilling to watch.

They started by brining the bride up on stage to work with the photographers. What we were watching on the big screen was a mix of stills and video.

VegasWPPI2009



Isn't her dress divine? I was drooling the whole time.

VegasWPPI2009



A few minutes after each photo was taken, the video would stop and a portrait would come on the screen. I would never, ever be brave enough to broadcast my unedited pictures on giant screens in front of thousands of my peers the way Yervant is doing here.

VegasWPPI2009



They brought the bridesmaids around and gave tips on how to pose and work with bridal parties. It was really fun to see and hear how they "worked" their clients and encouraged them to get cozy and feel comfortable in front of the camera.

VegasWPPI2009



They also gave tips on how to find unique ways to work with a persons surroundings. Yervant had the bride pose on the backside of the mirror, next to this curvy white backdeop. I realize it's not the best photo you have ever seen of a bride before, but for a high pressure situation like this I think it turned out really beautiful.

VegasWPPI2009



After working with the bride and the groom separately, everyone found their places and did the wedding march up to the front of the room. Joe Buissink scurried up the aisle behind the couple like a ninja. This guy was somehow everywhere and nowhere at the same time. His website says he has worked with Jennifer Lopez, Jessica Simpson & Nick Lachey, Brendan Fraser, Kelsey Grammer, Hillary Swank & Chad Lowe, Christina Applegate, Jenny Garth & Peter Facinelli, and Christina Aguilera (what a huge list of celebrities!), and now I can understand why.

VegasWPPI2009



When they reached the front, the couple engaged in this very light and silly mock-wedding. Their were inside jokes, photography jokes, jokes I don't think anyone understood, etc.

VegasWPPI2009



Then, all of a sudden, Jim Garner got serious. He told his wife (I can't remember her name!) how much he loved her. What a wonderful mother she is (can you believe she has several children?), and how much he appreciated everything she does. He was absolutely sincere and the room went quiet.

VegasWPPI2009



Then, he threw a sneaky look at the crowed and annouced that he had a 10 year anniversary gift for her.

VegasWPPI2009



The crowd whistled, clapped, and cheered as he slipped a (huge!) diamond ring on her finger.

VegasWPPI2009



I think you can tell from this photo (of a photo), that she was surprised and delighted.

VegasWPPI2009



Because I am a crazy blogger (and not afraid to be kind of creepy), I tracked her down during the convention to get a better shot of the ring. I'd tackle my husband in front of thousands of people for a ring like that as well!

VegasWPPI2009



After the ring surprise, the photo lessons continued.

VegasWPPI2009



Jerry Ghionis's demonstratin on of how to use a flashlight or video light for dramatic couple portraits was really cool. I'd like to try this out myself some time.

VegasWPPI2009



Soon all of us "guests" (for anyone in the audience was considered a guest at the mock-wedding) went outside to start chowing down on some free food (cocktail hour of the wedding, if you will). It was there that I met one of my absolute favorite photographers ever, Punam Bean!

VegasWPPI2009


While cocktail hour was happening they turned the room we had been in previously into a reception area. No more free food, but with cake, first dance, and all of the other standard reception trimmings. I was quite tired by this time so I ducked out and went back up to my hotel room to try and get some sleep before my 6 am shoot with my mom the next morning (I warned you these posts weren't exactly chronological).

No comments: